For Individuals

Modified on Mon, 31 Oct 2016 at 12:07 PM

Here's some helpful information -

There are common situations where proof of vehicle liability insurance is requested. Here's a list of insurance documents that we can provide depending on your policy conditions and type of requestor:

Auto Insurance

Insurance ID Card/Insurance Card – the information that insurance ID cards contain vary by state but generally the policy number, policy effective dates, vehicles and policyholders are shown. Use this card to register your vehicle or keep it in your car as proof of insurance for law enforcement.

Proof of Coverage Certificate – a form which shows the vehicle, the policy effective and expiration dates, and the limits of coverage carried on the vehicle. Use this form to show your lienholder (a.k.a. bank)or leasing company your insurance coverage.

Verification of Coverage (MD FR-19) – a form requested by Maryland as proof of insurance. Use this form when you receive a letter from your Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration or a citation that requires you to provide an FR-19.

Canadian Insurance Card – Your US auto insurance card is accepted as proof of insurance while traveling in Canada as a tourist; Canadian insurance ID cards are not necessary. Learn more about visiting Canada by car.

SR-22 or FR-44 (Certificate of Financial Responsibility) – a certificate mandated by the state that verifies that you have auto insurance liability coverage. Usually, it is required only for certain driving-related violations. If you need an SR-22 or FR-44, the courts or your state Motor Vehicle Department will notify you. Depending on your state of residence, the Certificate of Financial Responsibility form is referred to as either an SR-22 or an FR-44.

Homeowner / Renters Insurance

Declarations Page a.k.a. "Dec Page" - this is the section of an actual insurance policy that provides a summary of insurance limits, policy forms, and endorsements. This is usually the best proof of insurance when the requestor, such as a bank, is listed as a mortgagee in the declarations page of your policy.

Evidence of Property Certificate - banks and landlords typically request proof of insurance to satisfy the terns of their agreements. The one page Acord 27 - Evidence of Insurance certificate, outlines your property and liability limits, and is generally accepted.

Insurance Binder - some banks prefer the Acord 75 - Insurance Binder instead of the Acord 27 mentioned above. This document usually outlines coverage for a  30-day period, until your actual insurance policy document is issued. 

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article